timely quote

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veteran's Day

On Sheep, Wolves and Sheepdogs

First, thank you to all veterans, past and present. Your sacrifices make life in America possible.

I understand the purpose of Veteran's Day because I was Navy from 1990-1996. I joined at 19 because I was lost and needed direction. I grew up a lot in the Navy. I met my wife (now my wife of almost 18 years) and we have two wonderful children and a good life. I learned discipline, I discovered my work ethic, I completed creating myself.

I spent the majority of my time on a minesweeper driving over underwater mines and making them blow up. I didn't get to go to the gulf, but I knew many people that did. I spent my time touring Europe and we swept in the north sea for several weeks. We helped find and blow up some old WWII mines...they make a very big boom. It is a really cool thing to see. There are literally thousands of mines left outside of the major shipping lanes.

I got out in 1996 after watching Bill Clinton gut the military for two or three years. He made me the conservative I am today. Once I saw what he was capable of with the military, I started looking at everything else he was doing. I didn't like what I saw.

It takes a special person to spend a full life serving their country. It also takes a special person to live with a military member for a lifetime. So this Veteran's Day, remember to thank the veterans for their service and sacrifices; and veterans, don't forget to thank your spouse.

Also, take a minute to remember all of those who have come before us. Those that have made the ultimate sacrifice for their country. Remember that they had families...wives, children, mothers and fathers. They all deserve our gratitude. If you know the family of an MIA or KIA serviceman, take the time to tell them you are grateful for their sacrifice. If you are that family, please accept my gratitude and sympathy for your suffering.

Celebrate Veteran's Day the right way. By celebrating veterans.

2 comments:

RB said...

Good post Folly.

God Bless you vets. We can never thank you enough.

Ex-Dissident said...

Very well said. Belated happy Veteran's day to you and your family. The celebration seemed a little more bleak in NY this year, and it is because our country has become complacent in its domestic tranquility. Thank you for all you have done. I hope this tranquility continues, but whenever the volves sense weakness, they go for the kill.