timely quote

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, November 7, 2008

Wow. Hey media? Don't make him think or anything.

I just watched Pres-Elect Obama's first press conference, and I was rather underwhelmed. Is he still campaigning for the office? He didn't say anything new. You can watch any number of his speeches and hear the same thing. "Accelerate the assistance to the middle class," "Help people who need it most: the middle class," "Extend unemployment benefits for the middle class," "Tax relief for the middle class."

The questions were very telling also. "What kind of dog will you get," was my favorite. He was asked about raising taxes, but didn't give an answer. The press tossed him some real softballs, and he umm'ed and ahh'ed his
way through them.

I also looked at Change.gov, the website dedicated to the transition to the new world ord...ahem...new administration. My, but he has quite the tax plan. He's going to cut taxes to 95% of the working people, give everybody (middle class) a tax rebate check, eliminate the capital gains tax for small business, and bring the taxes for people over $250K a year back to 1990's levels.

Then, he's got all this new spending he wants to do. These programs are a little more difficult to find, but they get expensive quick. He's going to enact a new windfall tax to spread the wealth around. He's going to give money to "green" businesses to create "5 million new green jobs." I have heard figures in the $1T range. So after talking about lowering the deficit and national debt, he's planning on borrowing over $900B in the next several months to finance the bailouts he's planning.

You know, I really want things to go well over the next few years. I don't want to see this country fail. I'm not opposed to him succeeding. I just don't think it will happen.

I will not be nasty or attack Pres-Elect Obama with pointless personal attacks. I will be much nicer than the dailykos type, leftist Chimpy McHalliburton Bushitler crowd. My purpose is to illuminate the policies Obama wants to implement. I will use his own words and actions to show his true colors. He has been elected President of the United States. I do and will continue to respect the Office of President. Although I didn't vote for Obama, and I do not believe he is the best choice for our country, I hope that he succeeds as president because if he succeeds, then we all succeed. I do not, however, agree with his stated policies, and I do not think that those policies will be good for the people of this country.

He's already picking former Clinton staffers like John Podesta. He's pulling his friends from Chicago. He's appointed Michigan Governor Jennifer Granholm to his economic team. Michigan has been in a recession for over a year.

This does not bode well.

2 comments:

Ex-Dissident said...

He is campaigning. You can use kind words towards him, but from my perspective country comes last to our president-elect. Obama comes first. What did he ever sacrifice? Besides running a winning campaign, what did he ever accomplish. Have you seen the housing projects he worked for as a community organizer? The pictures show the roof of the building falling in.

folly said...

Something tells me he's never going to get past the campaign. I read the CNN reviews of his speech and economic plan, and all of them thought he was "very presidential," but didn't offer anything new.

At least it's not just me that noticed he didn't say anything.