timely quote

Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt

Sunday, January 18, 2009

And here, this is still legal

Although posted everywhere already, I had to toss my two cents worth in on this one.

Years ago, I spent six years in the Navy defending the rights of people who protested against what I did for a living. The people who use burning in effigy as a political tool. The people who want to take away all of the legally purchased guns because too many criminals have illegal guns. The people who think it's ok to kill babies if they are inconvenient. These same people tell me I'm a bad person if I don't believe all these things are good. This has always been a bit of irony I've enjoyed.

But this. This pisses me off something fierce.


The American flag is burned around the world by the same people who would emigrate here at the drop of a hat. That's ok. People with misguided opinions burn it here while not understanding that in almost any other country they would be arrested. That's ok. That shows the power and prestige that the flag carries with it.

My ship flew it proudly into ports all over the world. We saluted it daily and treated it with respect. Later, when I was leading a Boy Scout troop, I taught these young men the proper respect and handling of the flag. We held a flag retirement ceremony once a year. The troop would collect old and worn out flags from local schools, businesses and private citizens. We would invite local and state politicians and the news media out so we could show them how it really should be done.

The American flag is the preeminent symbol of America.

But this flag. This flag shows the disrespect these people have for our country. Because now, in this time, these people say they are proud to be here. Not because they live in one of the few places in the world that they could do this and not be arrested, but because Obama will now be president.

This flag shows the misunderstanding, contempt, disrespect and hatred they have for all this country really is.

And if necessary, I will fight to my last breath to protect their right to wave this...thing.

h/t: pamibe

11 comments:

Joan of Argghh! said...

Like I've said everywhere it's been posted, I'll have no problem burning this desecration of the flag.

folly said...

This doesn't even justify the ceremony required for retiring a flag, because this is no longer an American flag. There's no respect required for these. They should be be thrown away.

Natalie said...

Wow. I didn't realise that the Obama supporters could sink any lower. And the scary thing is it's only going to get worse once he's in power. I don't know if you read my blog entry about him possibly being president for life--if you haven't, please do.

folly said...

I have read that entry. I remember you commented that you thought he would be president for life, even before the dem congressman resubmitted the legislation that could overturn term limits.

Obama will either be brilliant in his decisions or everything will go to hell in a handbasket. I don't think he understands what he's really gotten himself in to, andI don't think there will be a middle ground. I don't think things will get better under his regime (to quote some democrats from the last 8 years).

Assuming he doesn't pull some kind of constitutional coup, I still think he's a one term president. Remember that to amend the constitution, you need a two thirds vote in congress, plus a three quarters vote of the states, or a con-con followed by a three quarters vote of the states. I wrote about this a few weeks ago, and while a con-con is possible, I don't think that a three quarters vote is possible for something like this.

There have been over 10000 amendments proposed, but only 27 amendments have been ratified.

talnik said...

You can't blame these people. They are taught in their homes, schools and churches to hate this country. That is their world, their universe, the totality of their understanding.

folly said...

Well, they can be proud now. Because Obama will make everything better, and after today, everything will be different.

Right?

The Gunslinger said...

This is a desecration of the flag as much as burning it or stomping on it.

Race trumps America. That's the message here.

It disgusts me.

Anonymous said...

"This flag shows the misunderstanding, contempt, disrespect and hatred they have for all this country really is."


Wrong.

For all YOU BELIEVE this country really is.

Please don't confuse facts and opinions, it is a common mistake that has caused a lot of hate, anger and suffering in this world.

Respect is the keyword here, and that goes to all commenters here.

I hope you will accept this comment, and not reject it.

folly said...

Wrong.

For all YOU BELIEVE this country really is.


Ok, just in case you didn't just seagull my comment section, let's talk about opinions. What do YOU believe this country really is?

Anonymous said...

I don't have an opinion about what the American country is, since I live in Holland.

I stumbled upon this blog (and blogs related to this one), and was surprised by how much hate and contempt some of these posts and comments contain.

And unreasonable things too, even I can tell that Obama changing certain laws in order to stay president is not going to happen. How can you seriously discuss Obama becoming the next Castro?

More than most people here you seem to understand the art of nuance and reason though, folly.

folly said...

My answer to you is turning in to a post, so a post it will be. Check the front page.